Child Safety Week 2017 – Friday

It’s our last post of Child Safety Week, and this year’s theme is #SharingIsCaring.

With that in mind, we’re asking you to share your child safety tips.

We have our first child on the way – and when you’re pregnant in Darlington, the Health Visitor comes out to check your house is safe before the baby’s born. Our safety check is in a couple of weeks.

I’ve worked my way around the house this week, so today I’m asking for your advice on…

The bathroom

Our bathroom is my haven. I suspect that won’t be the case much longer.

There’s no lock on the bathroom door – The Boss Jr can’t lock us out of there, or get locked in!

We’ve also got a little bit of tiling to do, to replace a tile which was broken when we moved in and has a sharp edge.

The bathroom cleaning products are going to the shed, along with those from the kitchen.

We’ve already moved medicines from the kitchen to the bathroom wall cabinet, but what else should we be doing?

The bath

We’ve been given a baby bath, which I’ve disinfected and wrapped to keep it clean. I know never to leave a child unattended in the bath, because babies can drown in just 5cm of water.

The Boss has a wire shower rack to hang, which will help me get the bottles of shower gel and shampoo up out of the way while keeping them handy.

We’ve also been gifted a bath chair, which I am looking forward to trying out – we’re trying everything to see what works best for us!

We already have a good non-slip mat for the shower, which sticks to the bottom of the bath. We also keep┬áthe toilet lid down, and have waterproof mobile phones. (That’s less of a bathroom safety tip than a general one, but a few of my friends’ kids have fried mobile phones by dropping them down the loo!)

Electricity in the bathroom

We don’t have any bathroom sockets. But sometimes on site, we find extension leads in bathrooms.

Just don’t do it.

Bathroom sockets have special safety features. Extension leads don’t. Not even the surge protected ones. Not even the water-resistant garden ones.

It’s not worth the risk. Because of this, we never use electrical items in the bathroom, or around water in general.

And on that topic, electric shavers and toothbrushes – use a proper adapter if you charge them elsewhere. We have seen people jam them straight into an ordinary socket. This isn’t safe at all – you risk damaging the socket. And a damaged socket is a dangerous one.

Help me out – what have I missed?

Is there anything I’ve missed out that I should be checking? Share your tips and let us know!

Leave a Reply